Every woman dreams about beautiful and thick hair even in old age. However, hair begins to age earlier than expected. Around the age of 50 your hair is becoming weaker – there are fewer follicles and hair bulbs regenerate less efficiently than earlier. In addition, your hair is becoming grey and dry which could be hidden by dying your hair. Actually, the hair loss process partially depends on you.
How to avoid hair damage?
Frequent sun exposure, hair drying and straightening makes your hair dry and brittle due to high temperatures. It interferes with the functioning of cells that protect the hair from sun exposure and over drying. In addition, inappropriate cosmetics including chemical ingredients can worsen hair condition. Therefore, if you want to have beautiful and healthy hair in the future, you should take proper care of your hair now and use hair care products with UV filters.
Cosmetics that stop hair aging
There are cosmetics preventing hair aging available on the market. They also make your hair look youthful. In addition, there are shampoos and conditioners with antioxidants and natural oils (vegetable and fruit extracts i.e. avocado, raspberry, and carrot). They stimulate hair growth, boost it from the inside making its structure stronger. Apart from those above mentioned traditional oils there are:
- Karanja oil – derived from an Indian Pongam Tree. It is greasy but is absorbed easily. It contains many antioxidants which prevent hair aging.
- Sacha Inchi oil – inhibits excessive dehydration of hair as well as the scalp. It includes vitamin E which rejuvenates hair and makes it shiny. It best works on dry and damaged hair (aging symptom).
Additional ingredients in those products are absorbed by the scalp and stimulate hair bulbs. On the market there are also masks and creams with active collagen, biotin and keratin. They strengthen hair and boost its regeneration .
Anti-aging hair therapy
However, that is not all. Anti-aging hair therapy also uses biomimetic peptides. The name seems complicated but their functions are simple. They mimic the effects of these naturally-occurring peptides which influence the functions of the scalp and hair cells. Peptides enhance amino acidic functions in the scalp and hair. Metalloprotease inhibition can also prevent hair aging. This enzyme is responsible for the formation of wrinkles and other symptoms of skin aging. Pumpkin extract and oil can boost elastin production and its fiber protection. In addition, pumpkin oil can protect collagen fibers. It is a perfect solution for having firm and healthy skin for a long time. Another product which inhibits metalloprotease functions is brown algae (Phaeophyceae) which restores lipids in the upper skin layer. Lipids mainly protect the skin from sun exposure so they must function properly. Brown algae are rich in vitamins and minerals so they supplement nutrient deficiencies and maintain optimal hydration.
Vitamins impact on hair condition
Vitamins alone have a great impact on hair condition:
- Vitamin A – removes free radicals responsible for the aging processes. It affects keratin (building block of hair and nails) functions, accelerates cell proliferation and follicle cell division as well as slows down wrinkle formation.
- Vitamin E – so-called youth vitamin, similarly to vitamin A neutralizes free radicals. It is also rich in antioxidants which slow down the aging processes. Additionally, it protects the skin from UV rays and maintains proper hydration.
- Vitamin C – is also an important vitamin in the body. Its functions are more associated with having a cold but it is crucial for collagen synthesis. It enhances iron absorption and removes free radicals.
As you can see there are many methods to prevent hair and scalp aging. You should use a therapy suitable for your individual needs and age. A good hair care multi-purpose product can enhance the treatments results. First, hair structure and appearance are enhanced and then the anti-aging process begins. Thus, it is recommended to use natural hair care products and enjoy youthful looks for a long time.
Last update: 20 November 2020